Under section 232(1)(g) of the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act) all councillors are required to ensure they have the requisite skills to perform their roles.
Under the Local Government (General) Regulation 2005 (the Regulation) this incorporates delivery of an induction program and an ongoing professional development program for the Mayor and each Councillor over the term of the Council.
Underpinning this requirement, guidelines have been published under section 23A of the Act as issued through the Office of Local Government (OLG). These guidelines, Councillor Induction and Professional Development Guidelines 2018, include:
- an outline of the statutory requirements
- guidance on developing and delivering candidate briefings and induction sessions
- guidance on developing and delivering ongoing professional development programs
- reporting requirements and support
- a model Councillor Induction and Professional Development Policy.
At its meeting on Tuesday 22 October, Council resolved to place the Draft Councillor Induction and Professional Development Policy on public exhibition for a minimum of 28 days.
Have your say
- complete the form below
- in writing, marked 'Councillor Induction and Professional Development Policy (draft) ' to Northern Beaches Council PO Box 82 Manly NSW 1655
Submissions close Sunday 24 November 2019
For enquiries please contact Leigh Surland on 1300 434 434.