The purpose of the Keeping of Animals Policy (draft) is to provide a balanced approach to the management of domestic and companion animals living within the Northern Beaches local government area.
It will assist owners of animals in understanding their obligations under the
Companion Animals Act 1998.
The draft policy aims to:
- Inform the community of the legal restrictions and acceptable standards which apply to keeping certain animals.
- Provide advice on restrictions and prohibition applied to keeping animals in certain areas within the local government area.
- Ensure that public and private amenity is not adversely impacted by the keeping of animals.
- Promote responsible ownership of companion animals.
- Investigate complaints about inappropriate animal behaviour.
At its meeting on Tuesday 22 October, Council resolved to:
- Place the draft Keeping of Animals Policy on public exhibition for a minimum of 28 days
- Note the need to address management of domestic cats given their impact on native wildlife and strengthen the draft policy to reflect the need for continued public education and enhanced legislation.
Have your say
- Complete the form below
- In writing, marked 'Keeping of Animals Policy (draft)', to Northern Beaches Council, PO Box 82, Manly NSW 1655
Submissions close Sunday 24 November 2019
Enquiries: Darren Greenow or Jeff Hudson, Regulatory Support, email or 1300 434 434