Jul 2020: Survey closing date extended
We have extended the closing date for feedback on the part time parking restrictions in Bower Street, Manly until Sunday 26 July.
Complete the survey today.
We want your feedback on the trial
We trialled part-time No Parking restrictions in areas of Bower
Street Manly between December 2019 and February 2020 to understand if changes
to parking times could have a positive impact on traffic congestion and improve
safety in the area.
The restrictions applied on weekends and Public Holidays between 10am and 4pm. They were in place on the north side of Bower Street, Manly, between numbers 44 and 56 and on the south side between numbers 69 and 87. 2P Permit Parking remained in place during the week.
Please give us your thoughts on the trial by clicking the button below and completing a short survey.
Your feedback will help us determine the
ongoing parking arrangements in this area.
Traffic data collected during the trial
To understand the effect of the trial restriction we undertook Parking Surveys over the weekends of 23/24 November 2019 and 4/5 January 2020. Surveys were conducted at hourly intervals between 10am and 3pm.
In summary the data reflects:
- other than at the very busiest times, there were always vacant spaces available within the 2P Permit parking zone.
- parking activity was lighter in November but in high demand in early January
- at all surveyed times vehicles were illegally parked in the No Parking and/or No stopping zones.
- issuing parking infringements (198 in total) on most weekends throughout the trial period, did not change user behaviour. There were still a high level of illegally parked vehicles at the end of the trial.
- traffic volumes in Bower Street, even in the summer peak (January), are still within acceptable limits for a residential street. This would indicate the related congestion issues are caused by parking activity choking the carriageway
- traffic speeds are not excessive
*Both sets of traffic counts revealed peak traffic time around midday (11am-1pm)
During the trial our parking rangers monitored the Bower Street area, visiting on 17 days (weekends and public holidays) and issuing 198 parking infringement notices
Rangers observed that the new restrictions, whilst not totally complied with, did improve traffic conditions (i.e. congestion and choke points).
Frequently asked questions
Timeline item 1
Aug 2019 Local Traffic Committee (LTC) endorses trial
View LTC Minutes, Item 4.2
Timeline item 2
Nov 2019 - Feb 2020 Part Time No Parking trial
Timeline item 3
Nov 2019 - Feb 2020 Parking survey, traffic count data
Timeline item 4
Jun - Jul 2020 Trial feedback survey
Timeline item 5
Jul - Aug 2020 Review feedback, data, refine restrictions
Timeline item 6
Sep - Oct 2020 Exhibit amended parking management plan
Timeline item 7
Oct 2020 Review and consider feedback
Timeline item 8
Nov 2020 Local Traffic Committee consideration
Have an enquiry?
Have questions or want to learn more about this project, contact us below:
|Phone||1300 434 434|
'Bower Street Manly, summer parking restrictions',