Social media is an important communication, engagement and customer service channel which can encourage dialogue between Councillors and the community.
In June 2020, Council endorsed a Notice of Motion (No 25/2020) to develop a Social Media Policy for Councillors. Subsequently, the draft policy was prepared in late 2020 and resolved by Council in November to be placed on public exhibition.
This policy will provide guidance for Councillors with regards to confidentiality, governance, privacy, record keeping and other legal and regulatory risks when using social media.
The draft policy defines a set of principles to ensure communication between Councillors and the community will be in a manner that:
- informs the community about the decisions of Council, policies, programs, services and decisions
- promotes two-way communication
- builds a highly informed and engaged community
- accurately responds to community comments and requests
- complies with relevant laws and regulations, and ensures the confidentiality of Council information
- respects the democratic process acknowledging Council resolutions represent the majority view.
Submission form - closed
Have questions or want to learn more about a project, contact us below:
|Name||Andrew Grocott - Manager Community Engagement|
|Phone||1300 434 434|