- Why does Council need a Strategy and Framework?
- Council plays a diverse role and function in events on the Northern Beaches. As three councils coming together, we want to clearly define the way events are delivered and supported across the Northern Beaches. The Event Strategy and Framework will help define Council’s role and function, evaluate events and their purpose in the community and streamline processes. It will also set parameters around Council’s level of support for events.
- What is the definition of an event?
An ‘event’ can impact on the day-to-day operation of the community and will usually require additional Council services to support its success; these may include road closures, parks or venue permits. ‘Events’ can be commemorative, celebratory, cultural or competitions. They can be one-off or regular and can take place in public spaces or venues.
An ‘event’ involves the public and as such may require the assistance of public authorities, including Police, the Public Transport providers, Ambulance Services and external service providers for venue support.Traffic and public transport disruptions, residential amenity, noise, parking and crowd safety are important issues to be addressed before an event can proceed.
- How do events contribute to place-making?
Events bring people together. They help define a sense of place, connect a community, enhance a community’s civic pride and can create opportunities, employment and have a positive impact on the local economy and volunteerism.
- What will be covered in the Strategy?
We are working with external consultants to develop Council’s Event Strategy, Framework and implementation tools. They will be meeting with Council events staff and key stakeholders to understand their needs and aspirations.The Strategy will set out the newly formed Council’s vision for events on the Northern Beaches. It will also help in assessing the purposes of events against a variety of criteria that will ultimately strengthen community pride, social inclusion and economic benefits.
- What will be covered in the Framework?
The Framework will set out the implementation methods of events across the Northern Beaches. It will include practical tools such as online and electronic application forms, regulatory requirements and post event evaluation requirements. Together, the Strategy and Framework will deliver a vibrant and diverse program of events, that is accessible, inclusive and connects the Northern Beaches community.
- Will the 2017 events calendar change?
- No changes are expected for the current 2017 event calendar.
- Should we expect big changes to the kinds of events Council organises or supports across the Northern Beaches?
- At this stage, it is too early to foresee how events will change across the Northern Beaches local government area.
- Who is Council consulting with?
We will be consulting with community groups, external event organisers, and business across the Northern Beaches local government area and the wider community.We will also be consulting with internal Council event staff and Council business units that are responsible for events. These include Manly Environment Centre, Council’s Libraries, Council’s Arts Gallery, Community Centres and Creative Space, Coastal Environment Centre, Waste Education, Youth and Senior staff representatives, Natural Environment Events team and Volunteers.
- How will you consult with community members and Council staff?
An online Event Survey was available on Council’s website for all members of the community to have their say during Stage 1 engagement on the project.
We will be running targeted workshops and meetings with identified groups of internal and external stakeholders.
We will also hold ‘pop-ups’ in areas across the Northern Beaches local government area to talk with local community members.
- Will I be able to see the Strategy and Framework? Can I give feedback?
The draft Event Strategy and Framework will be on public exhibition from 24 October until 21 November 2017 at http://yoursay.northernbeaches.nsw.gov.au/eventmngmnt
Community feedback is essential for Council to develop a Strategy and Framework that meets community aspirations as outlined in the Community Strategic Plan. Any feedback received will be analysed and incorporated into the final documents (if relevant).
- Why is Council preparing an Event Strategy and Framework?
As the newly formed Northern Beaches Council, an Event Strategy and Framework will deliver the best event outcomes for the Northern Beaches community and its stakeholders.
The Strategy and Framework will help maximise and leverage events across the Local Government Area for improved community participation and engagement. Events will add vibrancy to the community, encourage visitation and grow the local economy to enhance the liveability of the area.
- How will the Strategy and Framework fit in with Council’s Community Strategic Plan?
The Strategy will support Council’s Community Strategic Plan. It will work to ensure that events in the Northern Beaches local government area embody social, economic and environmental principles to create a vibrant and socially cohesive place to live and work.