Ollie at Curly!
Skate park open
Thank you to everyone who provided ideas and feedback. It has helped us design an exciting new skate park.
We took a collaborative approach to engagement which included a range of activities leading up to the final skate park design.
1. We started by asking the community to provide us with their ideas and vision for the skate park. (Check out what people said on the Ideas Board.)
2. We recruited a Project Working Group who reviewed the community feedback and, in line with the budget and site conditions, developed a set of recommendations that fed into a design brief for the consultant.
3. The Project Working Group reviewed designs provided by the consultant and chose the design that was most reflective of the recommendations and community sentiment.
For all the details, you can view the full engagement report here.
The result is a design that:
- is distinctive yet functional
- incorporates elements that work well in the space
- has good flow and movement
- is welcoming and fun for a range of users
- is unique to the Northern Beaches.
We would like to give a special thanks to our amazing Project Working Group, which included local residents, youth, skaters, parents, skate professionals and Council staff. Their enthusiasm and insights were truly appreciated.
A new amenities building is planned for later in 2020.
As part of the staged masterplan implementation, we will also be building a new carpark (entry via Abbott Road) in 2021/2022.
The draft landscape concept plan shows where the skate park is situated in the North Curl Curl Community Open Space Precinct.
The final skate park design
Site map of skate park
Source: Draft Landscape Concept Plan - North Curl Curl Community Open Space Precinct
The vision of the adopted North Curl Curl Community Centre Concept Plan (also commonly referred to as the North Curl Curl Community Centre Masterplan) is to provide a multi-use facility that promotes shared use and inter-generational engagement. To create cohesion with the rest of the precinct, we'd like to explore an environmental theme for the skate park and promote a space to play, teach and learn.
With this in mind, we encouraged the community to help us identify some guiding principles for the skate park design.
The intent of the North Curl Curl Community Centre Concept Plan (also commonly referred to as the North Curl Curl Community Centre Masterplan) is to provide a long term strategy for improvements to be undertaken over the 2019-2022 period on the North Curl Curl Community Open Space precinct. The overall masterplan is being implemented in stages and has already started with the construction of the community garden and the Council nursery facilities.
Timeline item 1 - complete
Nov - Dec 2019: Community consultation
Ideas and comments
Timeline item 2 - complete
Jan 2020: Skate'n'Say event
Timeline item 3 - complete
Jan - Apr 2020: Project working group
Timeline item 4 - complete
May 2020: Presentation of final designs
Timeline item 5 - complete
May 2020: Construction begins
Timeline item 6 - complete
Skate Park open