Submissions under review
Our vision for road safety on the Northern Beaches
Our vision ‘Safe Movement Always’ is for the Northern Beaches LGA to be recognised as a safe travel environment for all road users.
We cannot prevent all road crashes. However, we can all help to reduce the incidence of death, serious injury and the cost of road trauma to the community by adopting a culture of safe behaviour on and around our roads.
Northern Beaches Council will:
We are committed to fostering a culture of shared responsibility for road safety.
Taking a 'Safe Systems Approach', the draft Road Safety Plan supports programs to change road user behaviour in order to improve the safety and efficiency of the road network.
At a meeting on Tuesday 26 November 2019, Council resolved to place the draft Road Safety Plan on exhibition for a minimum of 28 days.
- Speed is the highest contributing factor in car crashes on the Northern Beaches.
- Our bike riders are being seriously injured in road crashes at almost three times the rate as their counterparts in other NSW communities.
- The Northern Beaches has the second highest rate of drink driving offences in the metropolitan area.
We have developed the draft Road Safety Plan utilising the national 'Safe System Approach' which aims to reduce death and injury on Australian roads over 10 years.
The draft Plan sets out objectives aligned with the four elements of the Safe System Approach - safe roads, safe speeds, safe vehicles and safe people. It includes details of how Council intends to support actions to help the Northern Beaches become a place which provides a safe travel environment for all users, including drivers, passengers, motorcycle riders, bike riders and pedestrians.
The draft Road Safety Plan 2019 – 2024 will:
- target a reduction in the number of crashes that result in death or serious injury in the local government area
- promote, educate, encourage and raise community awareness that road safety is a shared responsibility and choices and behaviours impact others on the road network
- implement initiatives to encourage a culture of positive and safe behaviour on our roads and paths
- focus on all road users, but especially vulnerable road users with existing and new road safety campaigns and projects.