Construction of netball courts about to commence
In September 2019 Council adopted the concept design and Plan of Management amendments to provide two hard surface netball courts and a basketball half court with lighting. Council will shortly commence construction of these courts and lighting.
A number of trees including the noxious Norfolk Island Hibiscus will be removed to facilitate these works. Council will be replanting with suitable species of trees and shrubs as a component of the landscaping works.
Works will commence in May and are planned to be complete in August, weather permitting.
Plan of Management amendments adopted
At a meeting on Tuesday 24 September, Council resolved to -
- re-categorise the land in figure 14-4 of the draft Ocean Beaches Plan of Management – Avalon Beach from Park and General Community Use to Sportsground
- adopt the proposed amendments to the Ocean Beaches Plan of Management and the amended Concept Plan.
Public Hearing Report available
Parkland Planners have completed their Public Hearing Report for the proposed recategorisation of community land at Avalon Beach Reserve.
The report recommends that the recategorisation from Park and General Community Use to Sportsground be adopted.
All the comments from the exhibition period are being reviewed and the outcomes of community engagement will be reported to Council in September.
Draft amendments on exhibition
We're proposing to amend the Ocean Beaches Plan of Management to facilitate the installation of netball courts at Avalon Beach Reserve.
At a meeting on 28 May 2019, Council resolved to place the draft amendments to the Ocean Beaches Plan of Management (Avalon Beach chapter) and concept plans on exhibition to facilitate the installation of netball courts at Avalon Beach Reserve, Avalon Beach.
- View Council Report (Item 13.3) - 28 May 2019
- View Council Minutes - page 10
- View Avalon Beach Draft Plan of Management
Key features of the concept plan include:
- four hardcourt netball courts with a green surface
- a half-court basketball court
- a bridge across Careel Creek to connect the two sets of courts
- lighting to Australian Standards.
Four ways to have your say:
- Attend a Public Hearing - Avalon Recreation Centre, Wednesday 26 June, 6.30-7.30pm.
- Drop-in eastern side of Careel Creek, near skatepark - Saturday 20 July, 12-2pm.
- Complete the submission form - closed.
- Write to us marked 'Ocean Beaches Plan of Management' Northern Beaches Council PO Box 82, Manly NSW 1655.
Submissions closed Sunday 11 August.
The Northern Beaches Sportsground Strategy, adopted in 2017, identified a critical shortfall in sportsfields on the Northern Beaches and specifically identified the need for additional hardcourts to service the needs of netball users in the northern end of the Pittwater Ward.
Council proposes to address the shortage of sportsfields by installing four hardcourts at Avalon Beach Reserve; on the grass area between Barrenjoey Road, the dunes in Avalon Beach Reserve and the fenced off-leash dog area to the north.
To facilitate the construction of these courts the Local Government Act 1993 requires Council to amend the Ocean Beaches generic Plan of Management to re-categorise the land from Park to Sportsground.