Project update: Dec 2020
At its meeting on Tuesday 15 December 2020, Council resolved to:
- acknowledge the NSW Government for providing the funding for the Streets As Shared Spaces program
- receive the detailed community engagement report on the Activate Manly/Streets As Shared project
- write to the Department of Planning, Industry and Environment requesting approval of the project scope variation for Activate Manly
- endorse the Activate Manly project revised project scope to be installed in February 2021
- receive a report on the Activate Manly Project to evaluate the performance of the trial and any improvements that may be required or requested, three months after implementation
- receive a briefing in 2021 on options for other projects that could be delivered at short notice in line with the program funding guidelines, subject to approval of the project funding scope changes by Department of Planning, Industry and Environment and appropriate public consultation.
View the full resolution in the Council minutes - Item 13.1, pg. 19
Thank you to everyone who provided feedback on this project.
Improving safety and connections
We've listened to our community and are providing more space for safe walking and cycling on the Northern Beaches. Current social distancing requirements mean this is more important than ever.
Over the next 12 months we will be trialling a walking and cycling-friendly link from the intersection of Darley Road with Wentworth Street all the way to Kangaroo Lane to the north via Sydney Road and Belgrave Street.
We think this will improve access and create safer spaces for local residents and visitors in and around Manly town centre, creating vibrancy and supporting local businesses.
The idea is to provide:
- more space for safe cycling with dedicated cycleways
- a 10 km/h posted speed limit in nominated areas of Darley Road, The Corso and Whistler Street
- more space for businesses with additional outdoor seating on Darley Road, The Corso and Whistler Street
- a safer space for walking.
This new safe cycling route supports the Move - Northern Beaches Transport Strategy 2038's aim to double active travel trips for households, commuters and school students. The project also supports various objectives outlined in the Northern Beaches Bike Plan, Walking Plan and Road Safety Plan.
We are hoping to commence construction in November ready for the trial to start in December. This project is funded by the NSW Government’s Streets as Shared Spaces program and Northern Beaches Council.
The consultation period has been extended and will now close Sunday 22 November. We will check in with the community to monitor how the trial is going at various stages over the next 12 months.
Learn more and have your say
Timeline item 1 - active
Check out what we're planning
View the image slider below along with the maps.
For additional information, you can also download the full transport management plan and read the frequently asked questions.
Timeline item 2 - active
Have a question or want to discuss this project?
Contact the Transport Network team by email or call 1300 434 434 (during business hours).
Timeline item 3 - active
Share your thoughts in the comment form below
Pre-trial comments were extended and closed Sunday 22 November.
There will be further opportunities throughout the trial for you to provide feedback and let us know how you think it's going.
View these maps for further detail
Comment form now closed
Frequently asked questions
Have questions or want to learn more about this project, contact us below:
|Name||Michelle Carter, Transport Network team (during business hours)|
|Phone||1300 434 434|