Avalon Intersection Upgrades
We are investigating changes to the intersection of Avalon Parade and Old Barrenjoey Road to improve pedestrian safety, reduce driver confusion and introduce dedicated cycle lanes throughout the town centre.
Council, in collaboration with the Avalon Community Reference Group have prepared three intersection design options and would like your feedback.
- All three options will include cycle lanes throughout the town centre and opportunities to increase bicycle parking and landscaping within the footpath areas.
- Improved pedestrian amenity and connections will be created by relocating the existing bus layover on Old Barrenjoey Road and creating one entry/exit point into the car park near Woolworths.
- Each option will unfortunately result in minor reduction in car parking spaces, due to changes in the relevant Australian Standards requiring greater setbacks between pedestrian crossings and car parking spaces.
- Council has undertaken a number of studies, dating back to the 1990’s which indicate that this intersection should be reviewed.
- Given its proximity to the existing traffic lights at Barrenjoey Road, the introduction of new traffic lights or a roundabout at the intersection is not supported by Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) and has not beeninvestigated further.
Comments are open until Sunday 25 August 2019
The Avalon Preservation Association intersection design option, that was on display at the Avalon pop-up plaza event on Saturday 27 July 2019, can be viewed on theAvalon Preservation Association website.
Avalon Pop-up Plaza
Come along to the Pop-up Plaza on Old Barrenjoey Road between Avalon Parade and Avalon Recreation Centre pedestrian crossing -
- Saturday 27 July, 8.30am - 1.30pm.
The Pop-up Plaza will be a chance for locals to experience a temporary community space and provide feedback on options to improve accessibility and safety in the area.
The day will include:
A partial road closure will be temporarily in place during the event from 6am to 4pm.