Our vision for Avalon
The purpose of the Avalon Beach Place Plan is to identify public domain improvements and programs that will contribute to a shared place vision. It will highlight the ways we can enhance community spaces and streets, create active and lively places to meet, gather and relax, improve connections and provide new facilities for young people.
We have worked with the local community to find out what Avalon Beach residents value most and what features make Avalon Beach such a special and unique place.
Following the public exhibition of the draft Avalon Beach Place Plan in early 2021, we are now reviewing your submissions and hope to report the findings, with the finalised place plan, to Council later this year.
Together with community led ideas and actions, the My Place Avalon: Avalon Beach Place Plan will build on Avalon Beach's unique character, to create a place for all people to enjoy, now and in the future.
The five guiding principles
The place plan is guided by five principles which balance economic, environmental, and social impacts with opportunities to bring the community's vision to life.
Avalon Beach Place Plan - place precincts
In this section we propose to revitalise and enhance the main commercial and civic hub by:
- upgrading the intersection of Old Barrenjoey Road and Avalon Parade to make it safer for pedestrians and vehicles
- upgrading the streetscape and public areas along Avalon Parade and Old Barrenjoey Road
- establishing a north-east and south-west cycleway network
- improving Dunbar Park and playground
- redesigning Patterson Lane into a lively and active laneway.
In this section we focus on building a stronger connection between Avalon Beach village and the beach by:
- widening the footpath with distinct pedestrian and bike paving
- incorporating new plantings along Avalon Parade
- providing new public seating
- upgrading the bus shelter
- improving the forecourt of Avalon Beach Rockpool and creatively designing safety fencing
- enhancing North Avalon Beach car park and Des Creagh Reserve
- protecting and enhancing environmental values.
Key elements of this section include:
- exploring opportunities for additional recreational facilities
- incorporating wayfinding
- developing a local storytelling trail that links with the Coast Walk Public Art Trail
- exploring further opportunities for Avalon Creative Workshop
- creating an off-road bicycle facility aimed at young people opposite Avalon Public School.
Have questions or want to learn more about this project, contact us below:
|Name||Anne-Maree Newbery, Manager Strategic and Place Planning|
|Phone||1300 434 434|
‘Avalon Beach Place Plan’ – Northern Beaches Council, PO Box 82, Manly NSW 1655