Improvements starting soon
Landscape improvement works
Following community consultation in late 2020, landscape works have been prioritised to refresh the public space at Forestville shops with upgraded garden beds and new lighting due to be completed in mid-late 2022. These works include:
- ambient lighting for outdoor dining areas as well as standard public domain lighting
- upgraded raised garden beds to better support the health of existing mature trees
- a new external finish and timber public seating around the garden beds that will refresh the look and feel of the area
- improvements to the existing memorial flagpole with removal of the brick step surround and new decorative granite facing installed
- new bins, bollards, signage and planting.
Updates on other improvements will be provided as the construction tendering process progresses. Some of these are modifications in response to community and business owners’ feedback, and include:
- synthetic turf to replace the proposed grassed area in the central area
- retention of the existing paving units for consistency throughout the precinct which will be re-laid after installation of the new lighting infrastructure.
An upgraded amenities block in the same location as the existing Exeloo will also be delivered as part of Council's capital expenditure budget for 2021/22. Construction is anticipated to be completed by June 2022.
As part of our Placescore survey completed in 2018, we asked residents across the Northern Beaches how we could improve our local centres.
The results of the survey showed that the top two priorities of our Forestville community were enhancement of the natural environment and maintenance of public spaces and street furniture in and around The Centre, Forestville.
The community engagement between 23 October and 23 November 2020 revealed that the majority of respondents were supportive of the proposed landscaping improvements to The Centre at Forestville, although many requested slight modifications or additions to the design.
A key issue raised in the comments related to the width and length of the proposed garden beds restricting the outdoor dining space, which some believed may negatively impact restaurants and cafes.
The full proposal exhibited in 2020 can be viewed below.
Have questions or want to learn more about this project, contact:
|Name||Barbara Stack, Senior Asset Management Officer|
|Phone||1300 434 434|