Comments now closed
Thank you for your feedback
Prioritising places for people
We are seeking feedback on a proposal to trial some changes to the street environment on The Strand, Dee Why through the Streets as Shared Spaces program. Our aim is to create a range of safe and enjoyable new spaces for people to enjoy and provide greater pedestrian and bike access.
The main proposed changes involve:
- one way northbound traffic flow between Oaks Ave and Dee Why Parade
- 30km speed limit
- existing parking lane converted to public space/seating
- reallocation of parking
- two-way cycleway replacing the existing on road lanes
- re-routing southbound bus services from The Strand to Clyde Road between Howard Avenue and Oaks Avenue.
To give you an idea of what this might look like, we have put together an initial concept plan for the trial. We are keen to get your comments and ideas regarding the various elements and their configuration. Your feedback will help us understand how to move forward with the concept to ensure it meets the needs of the community and supports program objectives.
Scroll down to view the proposed concept plan and traffic flow map, register for a face to face session and comment.
This project follows on from a Streets as Shared Spaces 'pop-up' in late 2020 on The Strand, where we closed the whole road for a weekend. View feedback from this event.
The Streets as Shared Spaces program provides funding for Councils to test public space improvements that encourage safe social connections.
We are proposing to have the trial in place for a six month period between July and December 2021.
Examples of temporary street furniture
Learn more and have your say
There are different ways to have your say:
- Complete the comment form below.
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Write to us marked 'Streets as Shared Spaces - The Strand, Dee Why', Northern Beaches Council, PO Box 82 Manly, NSW 1655.
We ran face to face sessions at the Dee Why Surf Life Saving Club on the following days to provide you an opportunity to speak with Council staff, ask questions about the project and share ideas:
- Thursday 8 April 2021, 11.30am and 12.30pm (held)
- Saturday 10 April 2021, 11.30am and 12.30pm (held)
- Thursday 15 April 2021, 6.30pm and 7.30pm (held)
- Thursday 22 April 2021, 11.30am and 12.30pm (held)
Comments closed Monday 26 April 2021.
Frequently asked questions
Comment form now closed
Timeline item 1 - complete
Oct 2020 - Pop-up Streets as Shared Space - The Strand, Dee Why
Road closure for one weekend
Timeline item 2 - complete
Nov 2020 - Review feedback from pop-up
We received over 650 comments
Timeline item 3 - complete
Feb 2021 - Engage with businesses regarding a longer trial
Business survey + meetings
Timeline item 4 - active
Mar/Apr 2021 - Broad community consultation on initial concept
Timeline item 5 - incomplete
Apr 2021 - Review community feedback
Timeline item 6 - incomplete
April 2021 - Stakeholder meetings
Timeline item 7 - incomplete
May 2021 - Report to Council
Have an enquiry?
|Name||Michelle Carter, Transport Network team|
|Phone||1300 434 434 (during business hours)|