on Conservation Zones Review and Technical Studies
Submissions on the Conservation Zones Review and Technical Studies are now closed and we are in the process of reviewing all feedback received.
Although formal submissions are now complete, you can still read about the review and the studies as exhibited on this page.
If you have any remaining questions about this study, please call the Strategic and Place Planning Team on 1300 434 434.
We are reviewing how we apply conservation zones in our current Local Environment Plans (LEPs) to create a consistent approach to their use in the new Northern Beaches LEP.
This review is the next step of Planning Our Sustainable Future and moving towards developing a single planning framework for the Northern Beaches, as required by the NSW government.
Watch the video to get an overview of the project.
Conservation zones are applied to land with environmental values or where there are significant hazards such as bushfire. The review is investigating which land areas should be included in conservation zones and what development should be permitted in these areas.
We are proposing zoning changes that may affect what you can and cannot do on your property.
Use our online search tool to find out how it may affect you.
We want to make sure we are applying the right zoning to the right area using the best available knowledge.
- Are we using the right criteria for a particular conservation zone?
- Are we applying the criteria to the right percentage of land?
Give us your feedback by clicking the submission button below.
We know this is a complex process, so to help you navigate the information, we have a range of tools to assist, including:
- Webinar recordings and presentations
- Frequently asked questions (FAQ)
- We've also added an Easy Read version to the Executive Summary and the full Draft Conservation Zones Review.
If you have more questions or need support with the online search tool, call our team of planners who are happy to help.
Call the Strategic and Place Planning Team on 1300 434 434 or email us
What could it mean for you?
Use our online search tool to find out
This is the first stage in the conservation review process and to find out how this may or may not affect you.
Simply, click on the above blue button to go to our online search tool, enter and select your address, or click on the map, to see:
- The current and proposed zone, any criteria identified on the site and any thresholds such as the % cover (if relevant)
- The process undertaken (Zoning Methodology) and criteria used (Criteria Definitions)
- Any changes in permitted land uses (scroll down or select ‘Check changes’)
- A comparison of the current and proposed zones (select ‘Compare zones’)
- Recommendations for any zones that currently have more than one zone on site (select ‘Split zones’)
- Maps from the many Technical Studies also on exhibition (select any of the buttons for: Biodiversity, Hazards, Geotech and Waterways)
For the best experience use a larger screen, like a laptop or desktop (i.e. 1200 pixels).
Read the Conservation Zones Review
See how the technical studies informed the review
Our Conservation Zones Review has been informed by a series of technical studies that identify areas with environmental value and significant environmental hazards.
You can find out more about each of the technical studies by clicking on the boxes below.